The Buckman Tavern Lexington, MA
The Buckman Tavern, built circa 1710, has a singular place in American history as the headquarters of the Minutemen during the American Revolution. The interior of the Buckman Tavern was restored in the 1920s by the Lexington Historical Society and appears today very much as it did on that fateful morning in 1775.
The firm created a detailed Historic Structure Report for this National Historic Landmark with the objective of gaining a deeper understanding of the building’s fabric that would guide renovations compatible with its history. We worked closely with Bill Finch, who is known for his work analyzing historic building fabrics. Armed with the intelligence gained from the report, the Society obtained funding to support a comprehensive rehabilitation that included exterior restoration, interior renovation, and the introduction of handicapped access via a lift and sloped walkway. This report was fundamental in receiving funding for further work: later projects included the adaptive reuse of the house’s wing as a visitor reception area and gift shop, conversion of the rear ell to an interpretive gallery, and the renovation of the second level for use as exhibition and office space. The rehabilitation also involved comprehensive replacement of the building’s infrastructure, including the introduction of fire suppression.