United First parisH Quincy Quincy, MA
This 1828 church is revered locally and nationally – not just for its elegant Greek Revival architecture, but also for housing the final resting places of two United States presidents. With a crypt containing the remains of John Adams, John Quincy Adams, and both of their spouses, United First Parish Church has been affectionately called the ‘Church of the Presidents’ by its thousands of annual visitors. The church was designed by noted architect-engineer Alexander Parris, and its construction was funded by the Adams family; the church was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1970.
Our firm became involved with this church when a subcommittee of parishioners commissioned a master plan to assess the building’s existing conditions and propose a phased plan for treatment. The resulting 361-page report included research findings, conditions observations, prioritized repair recommendations, and cost estimates. Also included were several conceptual drawings for renovations to the Parish Hall, aimed at reorganizing the space therein to improve parish life.
This study was partially funded by a grant from the Massachusetts Historical Commission and has continued to guide the church’s ongoing preservation efforts.