goodnow library princeton, MA
No two structures in Princeton are more celebrated than Goodnow Memorial Library and Bagg Hall. The library, constructed in 1883 to the designs of prolific Worcester-based architect Stephen C. Earle, is decidedly a product of the Romanesque Revival. Its coursed ashlar granite walls are accented with brownstone trim and areas of terra cotta, an ideal backdrop for the ‘pop’ of the red window casings throughout. Consciously designed as a pair, Goodnow Library and Bagg Hall share an architect, a donor, and – most importantly – a style. The two structures together define the town’s architectural landscape to such an extent that they have for over a century been depicted on the town’s official seal.