Oakes Ames Memorial Hall North Easton, MA
Oakes Ames Memorial Hall was designed by H. H. Richardson in 1881. The building was gifted to the community by the sons of manufacturer and congressman Oakes Ames, who figured prominently in the building of the transcontinental railroad. The surrounding landscape was designed by America’s preeminent landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted.
The firm's involvement with Oakes Ames Hall began in 2011 with an exterior conditions assessment. Though critical masonry and wood deficiencies were addressed the following year, other concerns remained. In 2015, we prepared a comprehensive master plan for the building’s treatment. Addressing such pressing issues as structural deficiencies, damaged interior finishes, and the lack of universal access, the master plan has informed ongoing efforts to restore the Hall. These efforts have since included restoring its distinctive stained glass windows, sweeping masonry repairs, and structural reinforcement of the stone tower. In the planning stage is an elevator addition accommodating universal access to all floors. Both the master plan and phased restoration of the Hall have been partially funded by the Massachusetts Preservation Projects fund and the Town of Easton’s Community Preservation fund.