Mayflower meeting house PLymouth, MA
Formerly known as the First Parish Church of Plymouth, the National Pilgrim Memorial Meetinghouse traces its roots to the Pilgrims’ original parish established in 1621. This edifice, design by noted Boston firm Hartwell, Richardson & Driver and completed in 1899, is an imposing Romanesque Revival structure with a monumental bell tower facing Town Square. Among its many treasured elements are a collection of stained glass windows, some of which were fabricated in New York’s renowned Tiffany Studios. The Meetinghouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Seeking to educate the public about the nuanced story of the Mayflower and its passengers, the General Society of Mayflower Descendants has decided to transform the Meetinghouse into an educational center and museum. Our firm coordinated the $2.3 million restoration of the building’s celebrated exterior, involving full replacement of the slate roof and copper flashings, 100% repointing of masonry, restoration of the monumental front doors, and re-installation of the famous stained glass windows on budget and meeting an aggressive schedule for completion prior to the Plymouth 400-year celebration.