Conant House Falmouth, MA
The Conant House is part of a complex of buildings owned by the Falmouth Historical Society and known as the ‘Museums on the Green.’ A portion of this vernacular structure, which serves as the center of the Society’s year-round activities, dates to 1724. Our firm was engaged by the Society in 2009 to provide a conditions assessment and master plan for the Conant House and nearby Wood House.
We were approached again in 2014 to direct a programming study and develop design options for expansion and renovation of the building. The resultant project, completed in 2016, is the restoration of the historic house and kitchen ell and replacement of later additions with a new addition on the same footprint. Infrastructure was brought up to code and archival storage was consolidated to a single climate controlled room with added shelving to organize the resources and documents therein. The interior of the first floor and existing restroom are now universally accessible, and a new, covered porch on the addition allows access and creates opportunity for interaction with the lawn and other campus buildings