OLD NORTH CHURCH BOSTON, MA
The Old North Church, the oldest standing church in Boston, was built in 1723. The church’s legendary steeple was the perch from which Paul Revere and his fellow riders were alerted to alerted to the imminent march of the British to Lexington in 1775. It was designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1961.
The firm’s most notable involvement with the church was the redesign of the main entrance in order to provide universal access for the church’s large numbers of daily visitors, which included entrance doors, vestibule, and brick forecourt to match archival photographs. Concurrently, the wrought iron fence, gates, and stone base were restored, with the new steps to the sidewalk allowing for a re-laid brick ramp to the entrance. The project received awards from the Boston Society of Architects and the Massachusetts Architectural Access Board innovative accessibility improvements. The firm helped secure several grants, including one from Save America’s Treasures, to restore the church’s 250 year-old windows. Each window was surveyed and the glass was carefully conserved. Discrete weather-stripping and painstaking restoration of the sash balance systems allowed these windows to properly function smoothly again after many years of neglect.