Southborough Public Library Southborough, MA
The Southborough Public Library, built in 1912, is a handsome red brick building in the Colonial Revival style designed by architect Alfred Cookman Cass. Several early additions were added to the north elevation. The library has been recommended for listing on the National Register of Historic Places as an example of well-preserved 20th century municipal architecture.
Early in 2018, the Town of Southborough commissioned the firm to assess the library’s envelope and to make recommendations for its preservation and restoration. After reviewing historic documentation, a comprehensive plan was developed outlining a multi-phase restoration project to be carried out over the course of several years.
The first phase of restoration was completed in 2021, focusing on the 1912 portion of the building and involved repointing and cleaning of damaged brick masonry, replacement of EPDM roofing, window restoration, and selective replacement of weathered sandstone trim. Also addressed was the front entrance, where the stairs had dramatically settled. The stairs were dismantled, the treads reset, and new handrails were fabricated and installed. Construction was largely funded by the Community Preservation Act and improvements to other portions of the building are to follow.